Build a Map Portlet to enable users to enter their zip code and get a map of a specific area. Maps are commonly used to display office locations (on a map). Certain views enable the visitor to get directions to your specified point(s) of interest (your company office). Create a portlet for each map you add to your website. Add location points to the map and associate each Map Portlet to its corresponding web page.
|"+"||This symbol allows for the creation or modification of portlets on the existing page|
|This symbol allows for the creation or modification of portlets on a new or exitisting page.|
|This symbol is used to provide a preview of the current page or portlet.|
|This symbol provides a list of update dates and the individual who updated that portlet.|
|This symbol provides the ability to see the all the pages that portlet is currently being displayed on.|
|This is the DELETE symbol. All delete actions will prompt the user before the delete occurs.|
|This symbol is used to add or modify sub-elemetns to an existing portlet.|
|This symbol allows you to cop an existing portlet.|
|1-||Map Instance Name:||Content that is shown as the title of the map on the web page. It also allows you to quickly locate and edit that instance under the Maps Portlet list.|
|2-||Short Description:||Provide a short explaining of the portlet you are creating.|
|3-||Map Display Width||Allows you to determine the width of the map on your web page.|
|4-||Map Display Height:||Allows you to determine the height of the map on your web page|
|5-||Display Address Form:||Adding an address form allows you to search for a specific address on the map.|
|6-||Display Zoom Control:||Adds a control on the page that allows you to either zoom in or zoom out of the map.|
|7-||Display Map Types:||When selected, this option causes three map types (Map, Satellite, Hybrid) to appear on the rendered map.|
|8-||Start Zoom Level:||Starts the map at a certain zoom level. The client can then zoom in or out more depending on whether or not you choose to add a zoom control.|
|9-||Use Best Fit:||Sizes the map to show across the whole web page.|
|10-||Header Text:||Content that appears above the Map and is normally a short paragraph explaining the map.|
|1-||Location Description:||A brief explanation of the location being added.|
|2-||Address:||Physical address of the location.|
|3-||City:||City the location is in.|
|4-||Zip Code:||Postal Zip Code of the location.|
|5-||Show Directions Field:||Written content that directs the viewer on how to get to the destination they are searching for. (DOes it show directions on a map to?)|
|6-||Show focus on page load:||When selected, causes the information bubble for an address marker to appear on the rendered map.|
|7-||Default Location:||There can only be 1 default location that automatically shows when the map is accessed.|
|8-||Address 2:||Additional information extending from Address 1.|
|9-||State:||State the location is in.|
|10-||Country:||Country the location is in.|
How to Build a Map Portlet
- Select Portlets: Maps. View summary of each Map Portlet created for this website.
- Select + Portlet Actions for Maps. The Map Portlet screen displays.
- Enter the Map Name for this instance with a short description.
- Enter the approximate map display width and height.
Enter your preferences for the :
- Display Address Form
- Display Zoom Control
- Display Map Types
- Select a number of zoom levels. The lowest numbers provide the highest level of zoom-zoom.
- In the Use Best Fit field, select Yes to xxx and No to xxx. Web Crescendo does not use a Zoom Level when Best Fit is selected.
- To configure portlet, select the + icon on the right side of the page under Actions
- Select + Location for the "Name" Map Action
- Enter the Location Desc, Address, City, Zip Code, State and Country.
- Select if you want to show a directions field and show focus on page load.
- Clock Save Location.
- Repeat steps 9-12 to add more locations.